At Code and Theory, our Content Strategists are helping our clients transform their approaches to content planning, development, management, and measurement. With roots in User Experience, Content Strategy is an evolving discipline at Code. We like to think of ourselves as digital closet organizers and merchandisers of valuable information, crafting meaningful experiences for people around the world.
We’re pushing our clients towards a future of fully connected content experiences—creating new spaces to communicate across touchpoints and environments, and uncovering new opportunities to break through the noise in a competitive world of information overload.
You’ll work closely through all project stages with Creative Strategy, Experience Strategy, Engineering, Data, Analytics and Research teams to design and build digital-to-physical ecosystems that require content to perform complex functions with measurable and optimizable results. And you'll oversee important handoffs to Copywriters, Visual Designers, Developers, and Client-Side product owners, ensuring the strategic vision is well-executed and expertly managed.
Working with clients at the global enterprise scale means sifting through huge amounts of data and unraveling complex legacy ecosystems. Knowing how to call on a mixture of quantitative and qualitative approaches is key. If you’re comfortable thinking about content from its most technical and structural to its most emotional and creative aspects, then you’ll be happy to find work spanning the whole range here. We craft methodologies for understanding the current state of content programmatically, while freeing up mental space to craft meaningful, engaging experiences that resonate with the right audiences at the right time to support unique business goals.
You may be our dream Content Strategist if you:
- meticulously organized your toy closet as a kid (Stuffed animals grouped by species? We’re looking at you.)
- like sleuthing around digital asset and content management systems, configuring site crawls, and building out detailed content inventories
- use plain language to explain difficult concepts, and catch yourself writing down definitions of terms when you’re not sure everyone agrees on their meaning yet
- have just as much fun nerding out with copywriters as you do with data modelers
- think the best stories are told in three dimensions
In your first month, you can expect to:
- Dive head first into projects as a client-facing discipline lead.
- Go deep with data (think: content models, taxonomy schema, and natural language processing), and set the stage for creative execution teams (think: page-level architecture, narrative journeys, and editorial planning).
- Run workshops to facilitate candid discussion and collaborative exploration with peers and clients alike. They will rely on your objective guidance to help them define their content needs, goals, and a roadmap to get there. Being a “people person” and careful arbiter will help everyone find alignment and uncover that clear path forward.
In your first year, you will:
- Have a hands-on role in defining what Content Strategy means at Code and Theory. We are constantly presented with new, exciting projects, and are oftentimes moving into uncharted territory. This is where we thrive as a company: at the precipice of building something completely original, and changing the world's expectations along the way.
- As the work unfolds, you will finesse project plans with Strategy and Production leads. We want to ensure timelines and expectations are aligned with the content needs you uncover.
- Feel empowered to identify improvement opportunities and set a plan in motion will be key.
To succeed in this role you should have:
- Proven experience working in the content strategy, content management, or content marketing space
- Professional maturity to work autonomously as well as in a collaborative team setting
- Ability to own projects and find efficiencies
- Flexible attitude, with a positive outlook towards change
- Excitement to find creative ways to promote and build this discipline and the impact it has on this organization globally
Code and Theory is a digital-first strategic and creative agency that designs products, content, and campaigns across physical and digital environments. Founded in 2001 and operating out of offices in New York, San Francisco, London, Atlanta, and Manila, we believe a mix of technology and creativity can solve complex business problems to drive forward innovative change.
From helping to redefining the publishing landscape through our work with media companies such as NBC News, WWE, Bloomberg, The BBC, The Outline, Vogue, and The Guardian, to creating award-winning marketing programs for brands such as Maybelline New York, Victoria’s Secret, and Burger King, to developing unique customer experiences for NYLife, Quest Diagnostics, Citibank, Dignity Health, Reebok and Colgate to designing physical products for companies like Brown-Forman, Hearst, and Comcast, Code and Theory is a creative agency built for the entire ecosystem.
At Code and Theory, we strive to only be limited by our own ambition and creativity. We believe in pushing beyond the easy and obvious answers in order to deliver the solutions that are right for our clients, their businesses, and their users.
In addition to working with the smart and passionate people that make up the Code and Theory family, you also get the perks. There's the usual - 401k, excellent health, dental and vision coverage, life insurance, flexible spending, pre tax commuter benefits and long-term disability. In addition, we have voluntary benefits including long-term and short-term disability and life insurance, that you can choose to elect upon hire. Code and Theory has a newly improved flexible vacation policy that does not put a defined limit on the amount of paid time off an employee takes in a year as long as they are responsible and accountable to their work. This policy is based on mutual trust between Code and Theory and our employees. Then there are the extras, some random, mostly awesome – bagel Mondays, stocked candy jar and exceptional Stumptown coffee and cold brew, weekly in office meditation, quarterly massages and team outings.
Code and Theory is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.