Commercializing the Comcast Cybersecurity Experience
The continuation of a long time partnership with Comcast, the focus of this work was to redefine the brand’s existing internal cybersecurity tool. The Comcast team had built a version of the cybersecurity solution for internal use, but identified a significant opportunity to drive revenue through commercialization of the product which required us to make some drastic improvements to the experience in preparation for enterprise distribution.
A series of workshops surfaced the value propositions that varying combinations of datasets would provide to different customer segments, helping them to identify patterns and actionable insights into their businesses. Use cases to identify potential security threats based on data anomalies, as well as tracking compliance in data security platforms among users.
Within 7 weeks, we defined the requirements for a successful product in market, iterated on designs through rapid prototyping, and infused new capabilities into the tool to serve the distinct needs of each unique customer segment. The redesigned tool provided the power to ingest, sort through various data sets, and identify insights and issues at a glance, with a simple and accessible interface.
Starting with the most important features
- The first launch of the Comcast Cybersecurity tool focused on setting a strong visual and navigational foundation and exploring 4 main features: Main user Dashboard, Data Ingestion/Onboarding, Search, and Assisted Hunting
Creating clarity through data visualization
- Within the search and dashboard experiences, it was imperative to lean on unique ways of visualizing different elements of a user’s selected data set
- In the search example, a histogram helps users searching for information within a set of data understand its activity over a set period of time. This allows them to change their search query in order to return more results
Prioritizing color and typography to improve usability and accessibility for all users
- From the start, we knew that much of our redesign work would not be implemented right away but in the mean time we wanted to make sure their current platform could at least start looking and feeling like the future design system while improving usability and accessibility across the board
- Leveraging our new style guide, we updated Comcast’s existing components through Storybook
Simple, recognizable paradigms for complex flows and onboarding
- By leveraging color indicators, clear element hierarchy, and new ways of visualizing data and status information, we ensure users know exactly what is needed from them and in what order, starting with their first ingestion of data into the system
Our close collaboration with the client and diligence around understanding the tool and feature prioritization allowed us to work quickly and efficiently, getting to a product that is powerful yet feasible to ensure quick launch to market.