Associate Technical Directors at Code and Theory lead complex technical programs that can span across multiple projects for some of our major clients (Fortune 50/Fortune 100 companies). They understand our client-partners’ business needs, and tailor the right technical stack to support these KPIs and future-proof their organizations.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
During the early stages of a project/program:
- Conduct technical audits
- Iteratively select every part of the recommended technical stack through a collaborative and transparent process
- Present software architectures and infrastructures recommendations
- Provide detailed technical recommendations in the format of a Technical Approach document that outlines the software and hosting architecture, development best practices, etc.
During the design and development phase of these projects/programs:
- Ensure the proper delivery of the project (on time, on budget)
- Pair with the producer to control the project’s scope
- Ensure that the proper development workflow and project delivery process are followed (backlog, grooming, etc.)
- Work with DevOps engineers to deliver environments, CI/CD, etc.
- Work with the QA department to set up the right testing activities (manual, automated, security, load/performance, accessibility, etc.)
- Assist the developers in their day to day activities
- Be involved in client meetings (stand ups, steering committees) to manage the client communication and communicate progress.
Throughout the project/program lifecycle:
- Actively pursue business opportunities with the rest of the code pod (especially DRI) to convert them into actual projects
- Technical skills:
- Experience delivering very high traffic sites, on the order of a million users per day
- Experience architecting highly available cloud-based infrastructures to support these sites
- Hands-on experience both in frontend development (HTML, CSS, JS) and backend development (PHP, .NET, Java)
- Experience with some advanced JS frameworks (Angular.js, React.js, etc.) as well as CSS pre-processors (Sass, Less) and task runners (Grunt, Gulp)
- Experience with one major Opensource CMS (Drupal, WordPress)
- Experience with one major proprietary CMS (Sitecore, AEM)
- Experience using one major E-commerce platform: Magento, Hybris, Demandware/Salesforce Commerce Cloud
- Extensive experience working with GIT
- You have experience with multi-tier caching, and have worked with systems like Varnish, Memcache, Redis, CDNs (Akamai, Cloudfront), etc.
- Other required skills:
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Able to simplify complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Experience leading development teams with knowledge in SCRUM and running code reviews
- You can look at wireframes or designs, evaluate their complexity, and plan the work of the development team (breaking down tasks, creating timelines and project backlogs)
- You are comfortable working with multiple 3rd party vendors for integration and support
- You’re used to participating in the requirements-gathering process for new projects
- You’re passionate about learning more, and are excited to collaborate with other team members across UX, Visual Design and Engineering
- You’ll actively participate in the evolution of our technologies and technology practices, occasionally pitch new technologies that you believe in, and participate in workshops to learn new skills
- B.S/M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent
- 9+ years of full stack web development
- 5+ years of experience as Technical Director or Team Leader
- Prior agency experience