At Code and Theory, our Design Directors create and inspire work that is distinctive, effective and clean. They cut through the crossed wires and static to facilitate a clear and coherent working environment, often juggling simultaneous client projects of varying proportions. We will always choose an open mind and desire to inspire and learn over a mile-long resume.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
The bread and butter of our visual design team is the development of platform-driven client sites, mobile and media applications, and internal tools that deliver smart and forward-thinking design solutions. As a Design Director, we’ll likely to ask you to:
- Lead efforts to develop creative concepts and implementations in a cross-disciplinary manner, working with planners and strategists to establish smart, creative approaches for each assignment
- Develop strategy, vision and concepts, set design direction and provide hands-on guidance to both internal and external teams
- Champion and generate ideas around innovative and effective digital communications, interface design, and interaction design
- Hire, inspire, mentor and train designers of all levels to create usable ideas that streamline solutions across existing and emerging platforms, setting design standards for the team and department
- Partner with internal teams on new business initiatives and work as the creative lead on pitches
While we are an open and creative group at Code and Theory, we do have some concrete asks for this position. To be an effective Design Director, you should have:
- Minimum of 10 years experience in the creative/design industry with an exciting portfolio rooted in digital visual design
- Extensive tenure designing for multiple interface and platforms in an agency, studio or product-side environment, with a deep understanding of all creative disciplines, including conceptual and executional
- Effective communicator, whether it’s verbal, written, cross-departmental or across the globe
- A professional and mature presence in all aspects of team and client relationship building,
- Passion, curiosity, and understanding for digital media as well as the marketing industry, and a desire to adapt to the changing landscape of technology
The Design Director has a lot of plates spinning, and there are frequent unpredictable roadblocks, so agility and malleability will help you stay efficient and calm. As a Design Director, the ability to formulate a plan and clearly communicate it to your team and the client is crucial. Working within our team, you’ll use your incredible organizational (and design) skills to find yourself developing world-class solutions with us for a long time.
Code and Theory is a digital-first strategic and creative agency that designs products, content, and campaigns across physical and digital environments. Founded in 2001 and operating out of offices in New York, San Francisco, London, Atlanta, and Manila, we believe a mix of technology and creativity can solve complex business problems to drive forward innovative change.
From helping to redefining the publishing landscape through our work with media companies such as NBC News, WWE, Bloomberg, The BBC, The Outline, Vogue, and The Guardian, to creating award-winning marketing programs for brands such as Maybelline New York, Victoria’s Secret, and Burger King, to developing unique customer experiences for NYLife, Quest Diagnostics, Citibank, Dignity Health, Reebok and Colgate to designing physical products for companies like Brown-Forman, Hearst, and Comcast, Code and Theory is a creative agency built for the entire ecosystem.
At Code and Theory, we strive to only be limited by our own ambition and creativity. We believe in pushing beyond the easy and obvious answers in order to deliver the solutions that are right for our clients, their businesses, and their users.