As a Director of Research, you will lead and conduct the research within the User Experience department at Code and Theory. This role requires strong people management skills and an ability to shape and drive product vision for a variety of clients. The Director of Research works closely and collaboratively with the internal project team as well as clients. You must be hands on and willing to get into the weeds to make the deliverables of a project. This can range from prototypes, creating surveys, creating tests, screeners, recruiting users etc. You must be able to in-take multiple research requests by in a fast past environment. You must have experience in managing and presenting multiple programs and clients efficiently.
You are a leader in the UX group and expected to mentor junior UX and educate fellow team members and clients on the opportunity and value of UX. You will contribute to the research practice at Code and Theory and evolve the discipline and methodology to meet the needs our of projects. You are responsible for shepherding work through the process; specifically, identifying the needed deliverables, estimating effort, ensuring collaboration across disciplines and approvals from internal and external stakeholders. And as a leader, you will be part of the work process, crafting deliverables as needed. You should have a least one area of deep knowledge - industry specialization, research, animation or prototyping - and good general skills across all.Responsibilities:
- Communicate the vision of research team across Code & Theory.
- Oversee and push strong design and research methods and processes.
- Mentor and empower the design/research team to deliver great products; inspire them to grow their talent and capabilities.
- Hire and retain a strong team of talented individuals.
- Grow design/research leadership within the User Experience department.
- Work with strategy, visual design, tech and resourcing to prioritize opportunities in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Define, share and deliver work to ensure project excellence, leading and shaping the team and work.
- Advocate research findings to diverse audiences through written reports and oral presentations.
- Maintain an understanding of digital trends and capabilities and actively participates in establishing a strong design culture
- 10+ years experience in areas including design research, market research, ethnographic research, consumer insight and user experience.
- Collect and analyze user behavior through various testing, benchmark studies, lab studies, and surveys.
- Ability to prototype and use a range of research and user testing software.
- Curiosity that drives you to look at the world as a solution instead of just existing patterns and mental models.
- Understanding of design research, user experience design processes and methodology, its value and how to integrate into work.
- Communicate the deliverables for results and illustrate in an interesting and compelling way.
Code and Theory is a digital-first strategic and creative agency that designs products, content, and campaigns across physical and digital environments. Founded in 2001 and operating out of offices in New York, San Francisco, London, Atlanta, and Manilla, we believe a mix of technology and creativity can solve complex business problems to drive forward innovative change.
From helping to redefining the publishing landscape through our work with media companies such as National Geographic, WWE, Bloomberg, The BBC, The Los Angeles Times, Vogue, and The Guardian, to creating award-winning marketing programs for brands such as Maybelline New York, Victoria’s Secret, Chandon, and BURGER KING®, to designing physical products for companies like Brown-Forman, Hearst, and Comcast, Code and Theory is a creative agency built for the entire ecosystem.
At Code and Theory, we strive to only be limited by our own ambition and creativity. We believe in pushing beyond the easy and obvious answers in order to deliver the solutions that are right for our clients, their businesses, and their users.
In addition to working with the smart and passionate people that make up the Code and Theory family, you also get the perks. There's the usual - 401k, excellent health, dental and vision coverage, life insurance, flexible spending, pre tax commuter benefits and long-term disability. In addition, we have recently rolled out new Voluntary Benefits including Accident Insurance and Short Term disability that you can choose to elect upon hire. Then there are the extras, some random, mostly awesome – bagel Mondays, summer Fridays, stocked candy jar and exceptional la Colombe coffee and cold brew, weekly in office meditation, quarterly massages and team outings.